5 Tips for Self Care
"Rest and self-care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel."
I cannot express enough how important it is to take care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally. It is so easy to get caught up in the day to day routine and constantly give to the needs of others. But what exactly are you giving when you have nothing else to give? You might catch yourself yelling more, forgetting things more often, feeling depressed and lonely, and just feeling completely burned out. When you are so filled by taking the time to care for yourself it makes it so much easier and rewarding to give to those around you.
I put together 5 tips that I make sure to do often so that I don't suffer from being burned out.
- Meditation/Prayer: I make sure to spend each day, multiple times a day, even if it is for only 5 minutes, to sit in silence and to just pray. I pray for patience, kindness, and strength daily. It's my daily mantra. Sometimes I'll use those 5 minutes to just sit in complete silence and focus on my breathing. There are some apps you can choose to use but I find myself to be sufficient enough.
- Drink Lots of Water: Drinking water is so important for your overall well-being. I make sure to drink a glass of water, sometimes cold, sometimes room-temperature, with some lemon first thing when I wake up. It helps keep my body alert and refreshed as well as keeping that pesky acne in control.
- Bible Study/Reading Time: Many of you may know this already but I love self-help and personal development books. I like to fill my day with positive affirmations which create a positive and motivating mindset which just make me feel good about myself. The same with Bible study. I make sure to have at least 15 minutes of personal reading time.
- Fresh Air: Take a daily walk. The fresh air and sun is good for the skin as well as the mind. It also gets you moving if you often find yourself sitting majority of the day. Choose to work outside some days. It gives you a different surrounding which can change the way you see things.
- Do What You Love: Do not forget your passions. If you love yoga, cycling, swimming, reading, painting, pottery basketball, tennis, whatever it may be, make sure you are pursuing it. I know it is so easy to fall into that trap where you develop the love of what your children or spouse likes to do, but pick a day where you are focusing on what you love to do. It challenges you and it reminds you of who you are.
We as humans love to give and to share, but we cannot do that if we are not giving and sharing with ourselves. I am not saying to be selfish. I am saying that we should be able to add another person to our list and that person should be our self and we should put ourselves at the top of the list because how can we expect to take care of others when we can barely take care of ourselves?
So love yourself a little more and add in a little more time to do what your body and soul needs.
And here's a reminder to breathe.
Love and Light,